Faith Kipyegon leads Kenyan glory at World Athletics Awards

Celebrity Trending
0

 




Kenya's middle-distance star Faith Kipyegon was crowned the World Athlete of the Year at the World Athletics Awards held in Monte Carlo, Monaco, on Monday night.


Kipyegon, who broke the world records for 1500m and 5000m in 2023, added two more gold medals to her collection at the 2023 World Athletics Championships in both events. She became the first woman to achieve this double feat at the global stage.


"Today is a beautiful closure of an amazing year for me. I am honoured that my performances on the track have been recognised by the athletics community," Kipyegon said after receiving the award.


"The support of my family, my team, my training partners, and my fellow competitors fuels me to work hard and chase my dreams and ambitions. I hope my achievements motivate and inspire many girls to do the same."


Kipyegon was not the only Kenyan to shine at the gala, as marathon world record holder Kelvin Kiptum won the World Athlete of the Year - Men’s Out of Stadia award. Kiptum smashed the previous mark by more than a minute when he clocked 2:01:39 at the Berlin Marathon in September.


"First of all, I am very grateful to my fans. I’m grateful for being awarded this trophy, thank you," Kiptum said after receiving his award.


The Rising Stars of the Year awards also went to two Kenyans, Faith Cherotich and Emmanuel Wanyonyi, who impressed at the World Athletics U20 Championships and the senior level.


Cherotich, 18, won the gold medal in the women's 3000m steeplechase in Cali, Colombia, setting a new championship record of 9:12.79. She also finished fourth in the 5000m final.


Wanyonyi, 19, claimed the silver medal in the men's 800m at the World Athletics Championships, clocking 1:43.76 behind Norway's Jakob Ingebrigtsen. He also won the Diamond League Trophy in the same event, beating a strong field in Zurich.


World Athletics Award winners are decided by the results of a ballot that combines the votes of the World Athletics Council (50%), the World Athletics Family (25%) and members of the public (25%).


The award was inaugurated in 1988 and goes to the best male and female track and field athletes of that calendar year.


The winners will join an elite list of names with the World Athlete of the Year award inaugurated in 1988.



Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)